Monday, April 29, 2013

Streaming, Downloading and File Conversion



I am often asked about streaming, downloading and file conversion.   I always try to encourage students to download their videos since streaming takes up a lot of bandwidth and slows down the network.  However, it seems downloading a video is never a simple task.  Even if a file is downloaded there is often the issue of file conversion.  This morning a student came to me wanting to embed a You Tube clip into her PowerPoint.  It was a tedious process but this is how we did it.  I downloaded the file with Real Player Downloader.  On my PC in the upper right hand corner, as a video plays, I am prompted to download the video.   On the MacBook Pros download player does not show up as it does on a PC.  To find and launch the player go to applications -> Real Player downloader and launch the program.  Once you play the You Tube clip the movie is listed in the download player and you select download to start the process. Once downloaded it saves as a FLV file that needs to be converted to an MP4 to play on a macbook pro with quicktime.  I used a nifty free online file conversion site, Zamar, which worked masterfully.  Once downloaded as an MP4 she was able to embed the video.  Zamar is a great free program but sometimes it is not able to download the file, if this should happen I usually resort to the website keepvid which is another way to approach the conversion.