Tuesday, April 9, 2013

File Size



A couple of weeks ago I wrote about cloud resources and how much free storage some sites are allotting. Most of the sites average above 5GB of free space.  Some of you may be wondering just how much space is 5GB?  In low-level computer language on and off is expressed as a 0 or a 1; each one of these zeroes or ones is a bit.  A combination of 8 of these bits is a byte of information. As you can see in the chart below, 5 Giga Bytes is a lot of zeros and ones.


1KB = 1024 bytes

1MB = 1024 KB

1GB = 1024 MB

1TB = 1024 GB

To give you an idea relative to common file sizes I found, on average, my file sizes to be as follows:

Powerpoint Files ~7MB

Picture Files ~ 2MB

Word Files ~ 50KB

Music File ~ 5MB



So, relatively speaking 5GB is a lot of space for your school files.  For those of you who use Evernote, the free monthly allotment seems tiny at 60MB.  However, every month you get a new 60MB of space.  Even though 60MB might not seem like a huge amount, to put it in perspective, I could back up about 8 Powerpoints a month.  I do however use my Evernote allotment every month just by clipping websites and backing up files, so I do need to budget my monthly usage.  I hope this gives you an idea about the amount of files you can be uploading to the cloud.