Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Thoughts on Blogging



I lay awake last night thinking about Blogging.  Blogging has been the best professional development I have engaged in this year.  I started a blog two years ago and it took me a while to find a voice.   I felt it was contrived and I really had nothing about which to Blog.  I later came to the realization that it is just a platform for getting out information and it did not need to be a venue for collaboration at least while in its infancy.  I transitioned from my newsletter to a blog and over the course of a few months I began to have so much to say.  Every day as I answered student and faculty questions, many of which were repeat questions, I realized I had essential material for my blog.  The added bonus was that I could create a culture of independent learners by referring teachers and students to my blog.  Here are some of the points I thought about that night while lying awake thinking about what makes blogging such a critical and important tool for students and educators these days. 

Professional

As educators we need to integrate the tools that students will be expected to use in their jobs.  Every job in communications, marketing, writing, media seems to have blogging as a prerequisite.   It is a given, you should know how to blog.

Practice

Practice, practice, practice, makes perfect.  Writing begets writing.

Portfolio

Student bloggers applying to colleges or moving to other schools have a whole portfolio of their thoughts and ideas.

Publish

Everyone likes to see their writing read, not necessarily by their teachers but by a wider audience, their peers and those across the ocean.

Portability

Graduated?  Got a new job?  Guess what, your blog is yours it still remains in the cloud if you wish.