Thursday, March 14, 2013

Google Reader announcement

All my newsletters had a Google section to let you know about a Google tool or capability that you might find useful.  Google has ample uses in education and is everywhere.  Recently, I mentioned the Google advanced search capabilities that makes searching for public domain pictures really simple.  Despite the wide array of Google capabilities one thing I have found troubling about Google products is they shelf their products despite their success.  Google has so many products out there but you never really know if they will continue to be around and who wants to invest in a product that will be closed in the next year.  Thanks to Richard Byrne, I found out that Google announced it was closing Google Reader.  I was surprised to learn of the news as I thought Google Reader was a mainstay.  I don't really use Google reader but I do use iGoogle which will be discontinued this November and I am still looking for a suitable alternative.  I have resorted to using both iGoogle and Yahoo.  I prefer the iGoogle layout so until November comes I will continue to use iGoogle.  However, I do save RSS feeds to my Yahoo account when I remember so I can transition when the time comes.  Nonetheless it is time to look ahead and here are some options that might be suitable for replacing your iGoogle or Google Reader account:  Symbaloo, backstitch, Feedly, Netvibes, newsblur or myLinkCloud.  I think RSS feeds are such an easy and effective way to stay abreast of educational topics.  It is a great way to create a PLN.  If you need help getting started let me know and we can schedule a time.