Thursday, February 27, 2014

Flipped Learning Resources

It is the time of year when I begin thinking about student laptop models for next years incoming freshman.  Once I have selected the models I make a short video for parents guiding them through the ordering process.  It has really clarified the ordering process for parents so I continue to make the videos year after year.  I got my que from some of the flipped math lessons that are happening here in the Upper School.

When embarking on the Flipped Classroom research several years ago I attended a conference where I was introduced to Screencast-o-matic for video creation.  I have stuck with Screencast-o-matic as it fits all of my needs: it is easy to use, nothing to install, free, and I can post it immediately.  Other very popular choices are Jing and Camtasia.  If however you are looking to work off your iPad you could try: ShowMe, Educreations, Screenchomp, Ask 3, Explain Everything and Stage.

A common misconception about Flipped Learning is that it is really only for math classes, that is certainly the perspective I had initially.  If that is your mindset, but your are open to persuasion, you may be interested in this webinar "Read, Watch, Interact, Flipped Lit!"  For other resources on Flipping take a look at some of these sites: A collection of English Flipped classes, PBS Flipped Learning site, and FlippedLearning.org.